Saturday, January 3, 2009

Taylor Swift + Holden Caulfield = the longest post EVER

Hey Stephen,
I know looks can be deceivin’….

Okay, so this is the English language truly at its best…

…I’m only kidding; I try not to be the grammar-police. (mmmm, I can’t help myself..) But really, this is my #1 FaVoRiTe line on Taylor’s entire CD. It just makes me want to dance, baby.

We left on Wednesday for Florida. Before we left I told Brett that I would finish “Catcher in the Rye” AND “Of Mice and Men” by the time we rolled back into town. WELL…we are about 5 hours from home, its pitch dark, I’m exhausted, and I haven’t even cracked open the latter of the two. I did, however, finish ‘Catcher’ and I really enjoyed it.

The book begins with Holden telling (his therapist?) the story of “what happened last December.” From then on the entire book describes about 24 hours of his life. The poor kid has been kicked out of so many schools and doesn’t seem to care. He seems to have no ambition and hates “phonies.” I really loved the way Holden described things because started out by saying he liked something or someone (“I like him, I really do..”) and then gradually he started finding little things about the person or thing that annoyed him until he finally couldn’t stand it anymore. I liked it because it was so honest. So realistic. We are all guilty of that attitude sometimes, or at least I am.

You see someone you haven’t seen in a while and your memory fails. You can’t remember why you couldn’t stand the person six months ago. Then you spend some time with them, and everything slowly comes creeping back to you. All of the little things that annoyed you become obvious again. By the end of the conversation you just want to get outta there and avoid the person for another six months. Am I saying this from experience? No waaay… :)

But back to the book: In the end it becomes very clear that depressed little Holden has ended up in a mental institution. Probably due to a nervous break down. You feel sorry for the kid because he is so personable and believable. He’s just can’t seem to shake himself out of a rut.

In case you STILL aren’t enticed to read the book, consider the following highlights:
Holden hires a $5 (or was it $6?) hooker, chickens out, then gets beaten up by a pimp.
He helps some kids skipping school find Egyptians Mummies and their “tunes” at the Met and finds an obscenity written on the walls.
He crashes at a former teacher’s apartment for the night where he receives a cup of hot coffee, some words of wisdom, and a very inappropriate pat on the head as he sleeps.

It sounds strange, but it is a good read. Read it. You might love it. But be forewarned; it is a bit of a downer.

No comments:

Post a Comment